Episode 2.3, "The Reichenbach Fall"

Undead Medic

What Did You Think Of "The Reichenbach Fall?"  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

• 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
    • 6/10 Average.
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.

I too believe that Mary wanted to build a bridge between them, but at the same time she is also acting per instinct, and her instinct is to agree with Sherlock that John is overreacting, apparently. Which I don't really get. I'm totally with John there. Sherlock does what Sherlock does, and we know him by now, but Mary - if she was an "ordinary" person with common decency, how could she defend Sherlock in that moment? I definitely think she is a bit "off," as we later see more proof of.

Back to Reichenbach. I can't believe I didn't think about this until now, but I tend to be a bit slow when it comes to plot: Donovan says that the ambassador asked specifically for 'the Reichenbach hero' to help get his children back. Since Moriarty was behind the kidnapping, I'm thinking he was behind that decision, too. Maybe he threatened the ambassador, or simply made sure the ambasador knew about Sherlock's skills, so that he would have to "hire" him.

By the way, I vote for a 11/10 stars option for the evaluation of the episode. This is off the charts.

• Like 1

Ah! Noticed one more thing just now. When Sherlock is about to go talk to the ambassador's daughter, Claudette, Lestrade stops him with the words, "Anything you can do to..." Sherlock continues, "not be myself." Lestrade says, "Yeah. Might be helpful."

And Sherlock turns his coat collar down in a very deliberate move. :) I feel sure this is not a coincidence, but relates to John's words in the previous episode, "turning your coat collar up so you look cool."

It's great discovering little details like that, even after having watched this episode maybe 15 times.

We do know that Sherlock can cry fake tears pretty much on demand, not the least of which is his fake crying at the end of TEH, then laughing because it was a joke on John.  Yeah, I think I would have strangled him at that point.  But there are other instances.  I don't believe he was faking tears in his meltdown in Baskerville, and his tears aren't fake when he's in so much pain in the padded cell with Moriarty in HLV.  I'm not entirely convinced his tears are fake up on the rooftop in Reichenbach.  But once the deed is done of jumping, he is in a completely different mode.  The game has changed.

We do know that Sherlock can cry fake tears pretty much on demand, not the least of which is his fake crying at the end of TEH, then laughing because it was a joke on John.  Yeah, I think I would have strangled him at that point.  But there are other instances.  I don't believe he was faking tears in his meltdown in Baskerville, and his tears aren't fake when he's in so much pain in the padded cell with Moriarty in HLV.

I might just have carried out John's threat of killing him. No, not really :) because he knew at that point that John wanted their friendship to continue, so he probably wasn't concerned that his laughing would change that. Doesn't mean he ought to laugh there, but I don't think the timing was as bad as his joke in the restaurant.

Strangely, I don't recall tears during his meltdown in Baskerville. If there were, I'm sure they weren't fake, because he was really terrified. In HLV, when he was dying, we don't actually see tears on his "real" face; it's only on his "mind palace" face, but I agree that those are as real as they can get, when they are a symbol of his pain, rather than actual tears.

That's funny -- I don't see her as reacting coldly or as being more sympathetic to Sherlock than to John -- more like trying to be a liaison between them, to help them understand each other so they can reconnect.

Maybe I see it that way because that's my typical reaction in a bewildering or upsetting situation -- I try to figure out why this happened and where to go from here, while the immediate reaction of a certain husband of mine (not mentioning any names!) tends to be more overtly emotional -- so he sometimes assumes that my analytical reaction means I don't care.

And .... let me guess .... you think he's "overreacting!" :lol2:

I too believe that Mary wanted to build a bridge between them, but at the same time she is also acting per instinct, and her instinct is to agree with Sherlock that John is overreacting, apparently. Which I don't really get. I'm totally with John there. Sherlock does what Sherlock does, and we know him by now, but Mary - if she was an "ordinary" person with common decency, how could she defend Sherlock in that moment? I definitely think she is a bit "off," as we later see more proof of.

I don't know if she's defending Sherlock so much as she thinks John is ... well, overreacting! Someone around here (forgive me for forgetting, whoever you are!) pointed out that John, in classic male fashion, largely defaults to anger when the ground shifts under him. Whereas Mary and Sherlock largely default to logic and reason.

But I get the impression Mary also thinks Sherlock had it coming! :)

• Like 1

By the way, I vote for a 11/10 stars option for the evaluation of the episode. This is off the charts.

I don't know. I have a bit of a problem with The Reichenbach Fall these days. On the one hand, it's a wonderful piece of TV with literally dozens of brilliant scenes. On the other hand, I feel it is very unfinished and The Empty Hearse did nothing about that, really. So I feel as if the episode is an unfulfilled promise, so to speak. And that bugs me.

• Like 1

It's funny, because it seemed rather complete at the time; he jumped to save his friends ... but TEH called all that into question! Frustrating, isn't it?

I don't know; the explanation to the fall (or lack of explanation) bothered me a bit, but I do feel like I can fill in the missing holes pretty well now. Maybe the fact that I notice plot holes much later than other people is to thank for that. In any case, I'm not bothered about TRF. It works very nicely for me. TEH wasn't perfect in its' follow-up of the plot, but emotionally it was riveting.

The first time I watched TRF after TEH had aired, I have to admit I found it difficult, but at that point I hadn't properly processed TEH yet.

Of course, as the creators of the show have pointed out, there are only so many ways a person can fall/jump off a building and survive.  Sherlock's version of it may be the closest we ever get to finding out the whole truth.  Is his version the whole truth?  I am not sure, but that's all we've got.  He seems to imply to John when he says he's indestructible, that there may be something more to it, but we'll never know, and I am content with that.  In fact, I like it that there's a possibility that he gets to keep a little secret.

• Like 1

I'm like John; I don't really care how he did it, I want to know why. And after TRF I thought I knew why; to save his friends. But in TEH that lovely, heartbreaking, sacrificial gesture seems to be rendered meaningless; the only reason for any of it was to make John believe he was dead. But -- why?

This is when I go into the fetal position and start to quiver ....

I'm like John; I don't really care how he did it, I want to know why. And after TRF I thought I knew why; to save his friends. But in TEH that lovely, heartbreaking, sacrificial gesture seems to be rendered meaningless; the only reason for any of it was to make John believe he was dead. But -- why?

I'll join in, okay? That is exactly my problem with this episode! That plus I still really, really want to know why Moriarty shot himself - what, repeat what did he think Sherlock could or would do to him to make him call off the killers? What?

And: what did Sherlock tell Molly to get her to agree on keeping silent for two whole years? If she calls him taking a few drugs "betraying the love of his friends" and slaps his face for that, then what would she have thought of the idea to traumatize John just to get a plausible account of The Fall into the papers / on the blog?

I still think he jumped to safe his friends....I really do. As you say it doesn't make sense other wise. Especially after Moriarty shoots himself. Sherlock had to believe there really were snipers out there. There were three snipers shown one on John and certainly one on Mrs. Hudson. If Sherlock hadn't believed it....then he could have just walked out of Bart's the way he went in. Maybe John would till have been kept in the dark somehow. All Sherlock had to do is leave a note on his phone and disappear?  Sounds weak, yeah but not much different then jumping for no other reason to traumatize John....which I don't believe was the idea. He sent him away with a fake phone call about a dieing Mrs. Hudson. Why bother with all that if he planned to have John witness it anyway.

The scene at the pool gave the idea to many fans that Moriarty had a death wish. Maybe this meeting on the roof was his excuse to finish the job?

• Like 1

I'll join in, okay? That is exactly my problem with this episode! That plus I still really, really want to know why Moriarty shot himself - what, repeat what did he think Sherlock could or would do to him to make him call off the killers? What?

And: what did Sherlock tell Molly to get her to agree on keeping silent for two whole years? If she calls him taking a few drugs "betraying the love of his friends" and slaps his face for that, then what would she have thought of the idea to traumatize John just to get a plausible account of The Fall into the papers / on the blog?

By all means, join me, misery loves company!

I assumed Sherlock told Molly the same story we were told (either he died, or his friends would). Therefore, I must also assume she hasn't heard the version told to Anderson, or Sherly would've gotten slapped a lot sooner. :angry:

As to Moriarty ... I think we're supposed to believe Sherlock could be just as vicious and unprincipled as Jim, and would be willing to do whatever it took .... but I can't see it. So I just take Jim's word for it. :wacko:

• Like 1

Jim does have the memory of Sherlock standing beside a pool gun in hand pointing it first at Jim himself then at a vest of explosives. Then there is a Sherlock dragging a handcuffed John into the front of an on coming bus trusting that they are going to be pushed out of the way...

So....yeah.....Moriarty may have an idea that Sherlock may be more then a little rash at times.

I still think he jumped to safe his friends....I really do. As you say it doesn't make sense other wise. Especially after Moriarty shoots himself. Sherlock had to believe there really were snipers out there. There were three snipers shown one on John and certainly one on Mrs. Hudson. If Sherlock hadn't believed it....then he could have just walked out of Bart's the way he went in. Maybe John would till have been kept in the dark somehow. All Sherlock had to do is leave a note on his phone and disappear? Sounds weak, yeah but not much different then jumping for no other reason to traumatize John....which I don't believe was the idea. He sent him away with a fake phone call about a dieing Mrs. Hudson. Why bother with all that if he planned to have John witness it anyway.

The scene at the pool gave the idea to many fans that Moriarty had a death wish. Maybe this meeting on the roof was his excuse to finish the job?

Yes, I agree, that's what makes sense .... but it's not supported by the explanation we were given....

*whimper*

(Is this what it feels like to go round and round like a teddy bear?)

(Is this what it feels like to go round and round like a teddy bear?)

Yes, without a doubt. Absolutely.

Yes, I agree, that's what makes sense .... but it's not supported by the explanation we were given....

Which is why I don't trust the explanation given. Nor has the fandom for the last 150 some years. Something fishy happened at the Falls. Something Holmes never imparted to his Watson....so why would our Sherlock be any different?

• Like 4

Donovan says that the ambassador asked specifically for 'the Reichenbach hero' to help get his children back. Since Moriarty was behind the kidnapping, I'm thinking he was behind that decision, too. Maybe he threatened the ambassador, or simply made sure the ambasador knew about Sherlock's skills, so that he would have to "hire" him.

When Sherlock is about to go talk to the ambassador's daughter, Claudette, Lestrade stops him with the words, "Anything you can do to..." Sherlock continues, "not be myself." Lestrade says, "Yeah. Might be helpful."

And Sherlock turns his coat collar down in a very deliberate move.

Wow! Talk about things I never noticed -- or never thought of. (And I've watched this episode a heck of a lot more than 15 times.)

Maybe I see it that way because that's my typical reaction in a bewildering or upsetting situation -- I try to figure out why this happened and where to go from here, while the immediate reaction of a certain husband of mine (not mentioning any names!) tends to be more overtly emotional -- so he sometimes assumes that my analytical reaction means I don't care.

And .... let me guess .... you think he's "overreacting!" :lol2:

Ha-ha! Not exactly -- just misinterpreting me.

... John, in classic male fashion, largely defaults to anger when the ground shifts under him. Whereas Mary and Sherlock largely default to logic and reason.

So why do I like John better than I like either Sherlock or Mary? Opposites attract? Same reason I married a certain husband?

I don't know. I have a bit of a problem with The Reichenbach Fall these days. On the one hand, it's a wonderful piece of TV with literally dozens of brilliant scenes. On the other hand, I feel it is very unfinished and The Empty Hearse did nothing about that, really. So I feel as if the episode is an unfulfilled promise, so to speak. And that bugs me.

I've been saying something like that since 2012 -- "Reichenbach" is only half an episode. But it's still my favorite, because of those wonderful scenes and that promise (not its fault that the promise is somewhat unfulfilled -- I still think it could have been).

... I still really, really want to know why Moriarty shot himself - what, repeat what did he think Sherlock could or would do to him to make him call off the killers? What?

What Arcadia said!

Moriarty didn't even like to get his hands dirty -- he presumably realized that he could never stand up to being tortured by a maniac (and I'd bet that Sherlock would have made Mycroft's idea of "interrogation" looks like a Sunday School picnic).

• Like 2

I still think he jumped to safe his friends....I really do. As you say it doesn't make sense other wise. Especially after Moriarty shoots himself. Sherlock had to believe there really were snipers out there. There were three snipers shown one on John and certainly one on Mrs. Hudson. If Sherlock hadn't believed it....then he could have just walked out of Bart's the way he went in. Maybe John would till have been kept in the dark somehow. All Sherlock had to do is leave a note on his phone and disappear? Sounds weak, yeah but not much different then jumping for no other reason to traumatize John....which I don't believe was the idea. He sent him away with a fake phone call about a dieing Mrs. Hudson. Why bother with all that if he planned to have John witness it anyway.

The explanation is that Sherlock invited Moriarty onto the rooftop in order to (somehow) stop him. At this point, he didn't know that there were going to be snipers aiming at John, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade. It may have been one of the thirteen scenarios but obviously not the most likely one. However, when that happened, it became clear to Sherlock that he had to jump. In order to save his friends, John had to believe him dead. Later he kept thinking that if he was to take down Moriarty's net unnoticed, it would work best if John continued to believe he was dead.

Moriarty had to be stopped, and Sherlock had to save his friends along the way. It was not a grand sacrificial gesture in my eyes, since it was just part of what happened in Sherlock's plan to take down Moriarty. But then again, I never was convinced, even when watching Reichenbach before TEH aired, that Sherlock simply jumped to save his friends. Too many things seemed deliberate, from Sherlock inviting Moriarty onto the rooftop, to him obviously pretending to be distressed when Moriarty revealed that the computer key code was fake. I did get the feeling, however, that he was genuinely taken aback by Moriarty's suicide.

My real disappointment the first time I watched TEH was with Sherlock's nonchalance about the whole thing. But even that, on closer examination, I should have foreseen. Sherlock walked away from the graveyard in TRF, so he obviously had no intention at that point to reveal himself to John. Of course, at first I didn't know it was going to take two years before he did reveal himself, but even when we were told, prior to TEH airing, I somehow had the idea stuck in my head that Sherlock would understand how much he had hurt John and give a proper apology right away. Which is ridiculous. No apology would have been good enough anyway, so this works so much better; Sherlock being (or pretending to be) aloof, thereby allowing us all to really feel the impact of what he did to John. We should be angry with Sherlock in that moment (while also being moved by his untimely attempts at making things right), and I'm now thinking that a heartfelt apology from the start would have made me feel too much compassion for Sherlock, and in return would not fully have appreciated John's anger. (To some extent, naturally, but not fully.)

• Like 1

Moriarty had to be stopped, and Sherlock had to save his friends along the way. It was not a grand sacrificial gesture in my eyes, since it was just part of what happened in Sherlock's plan to take down Moriarty. But then again, I never was convinced, even when watching Reichenbach before TEH aired, that Sherlock simply jumped to save his friends. Too many things seemed deliberate, from Sherlock inviting Moriarty onto the rooftop, to him obviously pretending to be distressed when Moriarty revealed that the computer key code was fake. I did get the feeling, however, that he was genuinely taken aback by Moriarty's suicide.

Yes, Moriarty had to be stopped....but Sherlock knew that Moriarty had a plan as well....."The Final Problem"......how did Moriarty plan for Sherlock to commit suicide?  "I owe you a fall."  "Don't worry....it's like flying only the destination is more permanent."  As Sherlock tells Molly...."I think I am going to die."  Moriarty wants Sherlock dead....Sherlock knows it and the how of it....at least a hint of what Moriarty has in mind. So...Sherlock has to make sure that what ever happens.....he has to be one step ahead of Moriarty. He has to survive. 

But as for the explanation he gives.....I don't buy it...but Anderson doesn't buy it and neither does John.  John asks him straight up if Sherlock will ever tell him the truth about what happened on that roof and how he survived the fall.  Sherlock just hedges.

• Like 1

In one of the interviews with Steven Moffatt he straight up says "Why would Sherlock tell Anderson of all people the truth about what happened?"  And they (he and Mark Gatiss) were laughing about it.  They really like to mess with our heads don't they?  I for one would be content with not ever knowing.  I like an air of mystery sometimes, makes Sherlock seem all the cooler to me.  :sherlock:

The explanation is that Sherlock invited Moriarty onto the rooftop in order to (somehow) stop him. At this point, he didn't know that there were going to be snipers aiming at John, Mrs. Hudson, and Lestrade. It may have been one of the thirteen scenarios but obviously not the most likely one. However, when that happened, it became clear to Sherlock that he had to jump. In order to save his friends, John had to believe him dead. Later he kept thinking that if he was to take down Moriarty's net unnoticed, it would work best if John continued to believe he was dead.

Okay, I've always wanted to have a go at thinking this through, no time like the present...

Let's see ... In TRF, we have a scene in which Sherlock apparently figures out that Jim wants him to commit suicide. So he goes to Molly and recruits her help in finding a body and, presumably, faking his death.

But why would he commit suicide just because Jiim wants him to? What does he get out of it? We are given a reason: if he doesn't, his friends will die. So he makes a teary farewell speech to John, and off he pops so that his friends will live, adopting the traditional crucifix pose as he goes. The sniper aiming at John dismantles his weapon.

Is that a fair synopsis?

Then in TEH we are told that Sherlock and Mycroft were already planning to take Jim down, that they allowed Jim to destroy Sherlock's reputation in order to draw him out into the open. So why involve Molly? Or the homeless network? If Mycroft's in on the plan, surely he has the resources to do the same things they did.

Then we're told that the sniper on John was "persuaded" to stand down. So there goes Sherlock's reason for jumping, unless we think the Lestrade/Hudson snipers are still active. But why wouldn't Mycroft "persuade" those snipers too? At any rate, his friends' safety no longer seems to be Sherlock's motive for faking suicide.

So what is his motive, if it's not to save his friends? The only answer  he gives is, "Moriarty had to be stopped." So let's assume Sherlock "had to" go undercover. Which means a fake death was in the cards all along, it had nothing to do with Jim's snipers. Which means the fake suicide was for one person's benefit; John.

But why? Why did John have to witness The Fall? Why not include him in the plan? No answer. Frustration ensues.

Is THAT a fair synopsis?

There's many more questions (what would Sherlock have done if Jim hadn't killed himself?) but the ones above are the ones that matter to me.

Okay, I've always wanted to have a go at thinking this through, no time like the present...

Let's see ... In TRF, we have a scene in which Sherlock apparently figures out that Jim wants him to commit suicide. So he goes to Molly and recruits her help in finding a body and, presumably, faking his death.

But why would he commit suicide just because Jiim wants him to? What does he get out of it? We are given a reason: if he doesn't, his friends will die. So he makes a teary farewell speech to John, and off he pops so that his friends will live, adopting the traditional crucifix pose as he goes. The sniper aiming at John dismantles his weapon.

Is that a fair synopsis?

Then in TEH we are told that Sherlock and Mycroft were already planning to take Jim down, that they allowed Jim to destroy Sherlock's reputation in order to draw him out into the open. So why involve Molly? Or the homeless network? If Mycroft's in on the plan, surely he has the resources to do the same things they did.

Then we're told that the sniper on John was "persuaded" to stand down. So there goes Sherlock's reason for jumping, unless we think the Lestrade/Hudson snipers are still active. But why wouldn't Mycroft "persuade" those snipers too? At any rate, his friends' safety no longer seems to be Sherlock's motive for faking suicide.

So what is his motive, if it's not to save his friends? The only answer  he gives is, "Moriarty had to be stopped." So let's assume Sherlock "had to" go undercover. Which means a fake death was in the cards all along, it had nothing to do with Jim's snipers. Which means the fake suicide was for one person's benefit; John.

But why? Why did John have to witness The Fall? Why not include him in the plan? No answer. Frustration ensues.

Is THAT a fair synopsis?

There's many more questions (what would Sherlock have done if Jim hadn't killed himself?) but the ones above are the ones that matter to me.

Your TRF synopsis looks good, except that I would include the very important fact that we see Sherlock alive in the very last seconds. Already there we get a good indication that a lot more went on behind the scenes than we were told. Sherlock planned to take down Moriarty; that's why he invited him onto the rooftop in the first place. How he planned to do it, though, is a mystery.

About TEH: Notice that in Sherlock's explanation he starts out by saying, "we" (as in him and Mycroft), but gradually it turns to "I". "I had to make him believe he had defeated me." I personally interpret the situation as Sherlock and Mycroft only having worked together for as large a part of it as Sherlock would allow. We know how he feels about his brother's medling. It's likely that he wouldn't cooperate with him on every little thing.

As to why Sherlock had to jump, I believe Mycroft stopped the sniper, not before Sherlock jumped, but right after. We see the sniper still aiming at John, when John is standing where Sherlock's body has just been removed from.

What I don't understand about that explanation is that the sniper would have seen all the commotion with the airbag. Why didn't he shoot John then? Why did Sherlock even risk it, if he thought the sniper might be able to see it? I'm racking my brain to come up with an answer, but can't right now.

Maybe the writers just haven't gone into detail as much as we have? If they were happy with leaving the explanation open, maybe they didn't care that the one offered wasn't watertight?

I know I might be reaching with some of this, but I at least believe that Sherlock didn't jump just for the fun of it!

Sherlock does act very much surprised when Moriarty pulls out the gun, he is trying to pull away even before Moriarty puts the thing in his mouth and pulls the trigger.

What is this thing about anyone shaking hands with Sherlock up to this point dies?  Even Sherlock wonders about it......does he half expect something like this to happen? He seems a bit hesitant to take the offered hand Moriarty holds out to him. Suspected...maybe....but not wholly expected?

But yeah....there is more to this then we are being told. If "Big Brother" knew of Sherlock's plan to die then disappear.....why weren't they in touch the whole two years Sherlock was in Europe?   Mycroft said it took some time to find him.  Sherlock even has to tell Mycroft that he had spent the last two years taking down Moriarty's web.  So either Mycroft wasn't in on it as Sherlock said....or middle age is really....really....catching up with him and he's become very forgetful.....which I doubt if he can learn Serbian in a couple of hours.

• Like 2

...there is more to this then we are being told. If "Big Brother" knew of Sherlock's plan to die then disappear.....why weren't they in touch the whole two years Sherlock was in Europe?   Mycroft said it took some time to find him.  Sherlock even has to tell Mycroft that he had spent the last two years taking down Moriarty's web.  So either Mycroft wasn't in on it as Sherlock said....or middle age is really....really....catching up with him and he's become very forgetful.....which I doubt if he can learn Serbian in a couple of hours.

Yes, another thing that doesn't quite fit with the idea that Mycroft was in on everything. Really, it was Sherlock's plan all along, and he just let Mycroft participate in parts of it, when he needed him to pull some strings. When Sherlock tries to pin it on Mycroft in TEH (saying to John, "that was actually Mycroft's idea"), he's just trying to put the blame on someone else, now that he sees how angry John is.

Well... it's an idea. Sounds good to me!

• Like 1