Shoot the Wall (A.K.A. The Rant Thread)

Banshee

Why only cling to one interpretation of what was shown on screen, though? Sounds boo-ring to me. :lol: Besides, if the field of literary criticism was so narrow-minded it would have died out a long time ago.

If there can be a dozen different interpretations of Hamlet, then why not of Sherlock, or indeed of Holmes at large? As there are, in fact, think of The Seven-Per-Cent Solution for instance (the book by Nicholas Meyer, I mean) and its Moriarty.

And in the spirit of diversity, why not combine your theories and make everything after Reichenbach be Sherlock's dream, because he came down a bit faster than his hasty calculations' results suggested and hit too hard and now lies in a private hospital (organized by and his location and identity hidden by Mycroft, natch) with a concussion? Would certainly explain a thing or two about the later seasons. :P

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Caya said:

... combine your theories and make everything after Reichenbach be Sherlock's dream, because he came down a bit faster than his hasty calculations' results suggested and hit too hard and now lies in a private hospital (organized by and his location and identity hidden by Mycroft, natch) with a concussion? Would certainly explain a thing or two about the later seasons. :P

Yup!  And with any luck, Sherlock will soon recover his wits, and be back to normal (well, such as he ever was) for Series 5.  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, besleybean said:

When have any of the Sherlock team ever even hinted that S 4 may not be real?

Not that I support that theory, but… they actually said they wrote it all and even based their writing on another fiction. :P

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Caya said:

Why only cling to one interpretation of what was shown on screen, though? Sounds boo-ring to me. :lol: Besides, if the field of literary criticism was so narrow-minded it would have died out a long time ago. 

Are you sure it hasn't? :D 

I think there's a difference between interpretation (which to me means taking the text as presented and trying to understand it) and inventing a set of off-screen moments so the narrative fits what one wants it to be, instead of accepting what is presented. Which is what a "Eurus doesn't exist" theory sounds like to me. There is nothing in the text to suggest such a thing, it's sheer invention on the part of disgruntled viewers. They have a perfect right to do so, but I'd be more comfortable if they would admit they're just making stuff up. Creator's rights forever! :D (I should start a movement.)

• Like 1

I usually have the problem with what people think they mean, when we can of course ask them!

But then when they do say, people don't believe them.

Or if they do believe them, they then say they ruined(their own show), or didn't write it aswell as they would have done.

Instead of just saying, oh i see I got it wrong.

Well this isn't what I wanted after all, I'll move on.

• Thanks 1

I think the "fix-it fic" is a perfectly good art form (e.g., "The Seven-Percent Solution"), just as long as the author doesn't claim that it's The Truth and the original was a lie.

To clarify:  I don't at all mind the *characters* within the fix-it saying (as I believe Watson does in Seven Percent) that the original was a cover-up, and here's what really happened.  But when the *author* says that in deadly earnest -- well, there's sometimes a pretty fine line between "playing the game" and mania.

• Like 3

This is what I see: 

people have their heads full of fan fic and can no longer distinguish between this and the TV show.

Fine if they prefer the fan fic, but don't try and pretend it's the same as the show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I feel this picture is appropriate considering this discussion.30e4567709cc047607acfe32247925d3.jpg

The funniest thing is when the green makes perfect sense, even to the author, even if he/she/they never meant it that way. :D (Just a side note, has nothing to do with Sherlock)

• Like 1

Also, it's amazing how quickly Venn/Euler diagrams have become part of the common culture.  Just a few decades ago, nobody used them except a few specialized mathematicians and logicians.

I'd never seen or heard of them till I was in college.  Then three or four years later, I happened to be in a first-grade classroom -- and there they were on the blackboard!

12 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

30e4567709cc047607acfe32247925d3.jpg

This is what I hated about literary analysis.  I have "author brain" and tend to take things at face value unless given an obvious indication to do otherwise, whereas my English teachers wanted me to see hidden meaning in eeeeverything.  Sorry but no.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Fantasy Lover said:

I feel this picture is appropriate considering this discussion.30e4567709cc047607acfe32247925d3.jpg

This sums up my problem with English (and German) classes in school. I love reading and writing but I hated the kind of reading and writing you are forced to do there.

• Like 1

Can happen anywhere...

I have just been fortunate to encounter a few inspirational teachers on my way.

14 hours ago, Carol the Dabbler said:

Also, it's amazing how quickly Venn/Euler diagrams have become part of the common culture.  Just a few decades ago, nobody used them except a few specialized mathematicians and logicians.

We've had them in the 3. class I guess. Very soon in math education. Not as complicated as some of the diagrams in Wikipedia though.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, Fantasy Lover said:

Perfect!

So in this particular diagram … what does the space where blue and green overlap represent? What the author thinks the English teacher meant? :D 

2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

... what does the space where blue and green overlap represent?

The overlap between the circles represents the overlap between what the author meant and what the teacher thinks the author meant -- basically that there were curtains, which were in some sense blue.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Whoever says gardening is suitable activity for seniors, what, you think everyone is Thanos??

I'm not a 'senior' and gardening is freaking back-breaking activity.

• Haha 1

It depends on how big your garden is and how you go about tending it, I think.  When I'm able to keep up with my modest garden and keep it well mulched, it's no great amount of work -- but I didn't have time to do that for the past three years, so my garden is now a miniature jungle.  I'm sloooowly getting it cleared, but most of the rest of that work will now have to wait till the weather's cooler.

• Like 1