Speedy's Cafe - General Chat about anything you like!

LOVE Calvin & Hobbes! LOVE!!!

Oh, YES. My all-time favorite, I miss it.

It's definitely mine, too, but I don't miss it, because it's still very much there. Ten years of it. That's enough for me. I admire Watterson hugely for having stopped while he was still really good. I never had to see this suffer in quality, and for that I am very grateful. Nothing hurts me like watching a bit of fiction I loved being ruined.

And the last Calvin and Hobbes strip was wonderful, wasn't it?

• Like 2

Oh, YES. My all-time favorite, I miss it.

It's definitely mine, too, but I don't miss it, because it's still very much there. Ten years of it. That's enough for me. I admire Watterson hugely for having stopped while he was still really good. I never had to see this suffer in quality, and for that I am very grateful. Nothing hurts me like watching a bit of fiction I loved being ruined.

You mean like "Pearls Before Swine" has tanked? It used to be so brilliant, but now ... zzzzzznore. So yeah, good point.

You mean like "Pearls Before Swine" has tanked? It used to be so brilliant, but now ... zzzzzznore. So yeah, good point.

Since you mentioned Pearls Before Swine: Watterson hasn't exactly returned to drawing comics, but he did three guest panels (here and the two following days) for that comic earlier this year, for a Parkinson fund-raiser.

• Like 2

Didn't know where else to put this, but I just "have" to show around the first Sherlock fan art I found that I really like:

tumblr_nbfl4azmke1qdrbf4o1_r2_500.jpg

Pretty artistic, huh? The inventiveness of other people never ceases to amaze me...

• Like 4

That is cool.  I like the shadow cast.

• Like 1

Since you mentioned Pearls Before Swine: Watterson hasn't exactly returned to drawing comics, but he did three guest panels (here and the two following days) for that comic earlier this year, for a Parkinson fund-raiser.

Ooooo, thanks for that! I seem to remember reading at least one of those but I'm not sure I knew Watterson was behind it, or the reason for it. I love it. Watterson's a really excellent watercolorist too, I love looking at his work.

• Like 1

I just watched the most disturbing movie on Crackle. Don't know how to feel about it. It's called ' The Tenant '. It stars Snoop Dog & a Caucasian actor who's name of which I am unaware. It was beyond dark, didn't make a whole lot of since & I'm pretty sure it may be offensive to writers & Jews. Don't know if it was a drama, or a bizzare comedy, or a thriller. I did laugh @ some parts & my heart raced @ others & my jaw dropped in shock @ some parts.

Snoop was really scary in parts. I didn't know why the other writer was ok with being friends with him. CRazY!! I totally didn't predict the end. It was a pretty creative ending.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Sherlock Forum!

Thank you.

I feel deeply bothered about a thing, so I'm going to spoilertag my whole rant. I know it doesn't belong on this forum, too, but I have nowhere else to put this.

51TyRiipqeL.jpg

WHAT the @%#$ IS THIS? No, you don't have to ask. I'm answering that right now:

It's a Minecraft fanfiction.

In #$%^ing PRINT.

It also features spelling and grammar errors, the overused sucked-into-the-game cliche, and the kill-the-Ender-Dragon Minecraft fanfic-exclusive cliche (later in the series. Yes, series.). Basically, it's your average fanfiction in print. Somebody is being payed money to produce this.

No. Just -- NO. I've only read the synopsis and flipped through a few pages, but I already know that there's better Minecraft fanfiction than this. Fanfiction that people actually worked for, and have worked hour after hour for it, earning their good reviews with good storytelling instead of pandering to their audience.

Fine then. Since fanfiction can now be published into books, expect an influx of shoddy, slapdash, mediocre stories coming to Barnes and Nobles near you.

• Like 1

I feel deeply bothered about a thing, so I'm going to spoilertag my whole rant. I know it doesn't belong on this forum, too, but I have nowhere else to put this.

51TyRiipqeL.jpg

WHAT the @%#$ IS THIS? No, you don't have to ask. I'm answering that right now:

It's a Minecraft fanfiction.

In #$%^ing PRINT.

It also features spelling and grammar errors, the overused sucked-into-the-game cliche, and the kill-the-Ender-Dragon Minecraft fanfic-exclusive cliche (later in the series. Yes, series.). Basically, it's your average fanfiction in print. Somebody is being payed money to produce this.

No. Just -- NO. I've only read the synopsis and flipped through a few pages, but I already know that there's better Minecraft fanfiction than this. Fanfiction that people actually worked for, and have worked hour after hour for it, earning their good reviews with good storytelling instead of pandering to their audience.

Fine then. Since fanfiction can now be published into books, expect an influx of shoddy, slapdash, mediocre stories coming to Barnes and Nobles near you.

Oh, my dear, I am so sorry you were exposed to the sad reality of unfair publishing... Could you just, you know, delete that information?

I am even more sorry to point out that the influx of shoddy, slapdash, mediocre fanfiction (based) stories to Barnes and Noble and the likes of them already began quite a while ago. Remember Shades of Grey? (Sorry to anybody who might be a fan of that, but my objectivity kind of stops at that piece of writing...)

Bluh. Don't mention that thing.

The irony is, there are people paying money to be disappointed, even though you can read far better stories online for free. Wattpad, DeviantART, and some other sites have great original fiction. AO3 and FanFiction.net is chock-full of good fanfics. Some of my favorite things to reread can only be found online. Imagine if all of the good writers on the internet started publishing books -- now that'd be a game changer.

• Like 1

I imagine that's one reason sites like that exist ... because old-fashioned print publishers are sooo reluctant to give new authors with new ideas a chance. Really, I don't know how anyone breaks through these days unless they're writing self-help books or knock offs of Harry Potter. But they do .... I just don't know how.

I suspect most people who read that book will not be disappointed; I suspect most of them are paying for exactly what they want. The thirst for repitition of what's already a known quantity is not limited to publishers, I'm afraid.

Good stuff, original stuff, does sometimes slip through the marketing filter, though. In other words; never give up!

If we ever do meet up in real life, I propose we have milkshakes and shoot silly string at each other.

• Like 3

Well I just got to make sure I'm wearing clothes that can get messed up if we do silly string. One time after a mid-week service some of the guys played a prank on the women, pretended they wanted to take our picture, then sprayed us with silly string.... I still cringe at that photo, they ruined a $70 sweater.

Any-who according to my friends, even when I'm dressed down ( and in my eyes I'm looking quite bummy), they feel I look so put together. I'm sorry just because we're playing volleyball or whatever, doesn't mean I will play without jewelry.

Of course it belongs on this forum. While it's not specifically Sherlock-related, it's fan-related. And besides, note that the topic of this thread is "General Chat about anything you like." So no real need to spoiler-tag it either.

Since fanfiction can now be published into books, expect an influx of shoddy, slapdash, mediocre stories coming to Barnes and Nobles near you.

... you can read far better stories online for free. Wattpad, DeviantART, and some other sites have great original fiction. AO3 and FanFiction.net is chock-full of good fanfics. Some of my favorite things to reread can only be found online. Imagine if all of the good writers on the internet started publishing books -- now that'd be a game changer.

The problem is, the source material is all copyrighted.  So the only way that derivative stories can be published (for money, at least) is with the permission of the copyright holders.

As T.o.b.y mentions, this sort of thing is hardly new.  In fact, I remember the very first Star Trek novel I ever saw.  Not only was it uninspired (to say the least!), but I was aware of much better fan fiction, which could not be professionally published because of the copyrights.  Turned out, the silly thing had been published by a subsidiary of the conglomerate that owned Star Trek.  It wasn't too many years before much better Trek novels were being published, apparently through some licensing arrangement -- so I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see the current popularity of fan fiction (and the high quality of some of it) leading to a new and far different relationship between copyright holders and fan writers.

Ok I am watching ' Stranger Than Fiction' starring Emma Thompson, Will Farrow & Queen Latifa. I think that Steve & Mark have nicked a few things from this movie. I mean some parts are truly reminiscent of Sherlock's mind palace... What finally made me post this was a reference to the Golem. I'm like this is way to coincidental. Before that the narrator/author in the movie played by Emma Thompson is standing on the edge of a building, holding out her hand similar to the way Sherlock did towards John, then she jumps. Later you see - Well she didn't really jump! :o The similarities to me are mind boggling. It's probably Mark more than Steve, there's something in the back of their heads referencing this movie as they write Sherlock.

So all you who feel confused & wonder why doesn't some of these things translate in real life, perhaps because the writers inspiration is 'Stranger Than Fiction' - Pun intended.

• Like 3

So I'm watching this new show called Scorpion. Sherlock ripoff!!!! The lead character just delivered a deduction straight out of SiP ... and the guy's obviously s'posed to be a "sociopath" as well. He even has dark curly hair. OMG, he's even got a purple shirt! And I'm already utterly bored by him.

• Like 2