Holiday-Special News ("Abominable Bride")

sittything

I'm pretty sure we're all teetering on a fine ledge between sanity and insanity at this point. lol

What?! We had sanity? Are you sure? ;) :)

• Like 2

I used to day to people: you think we Sherlockians are mad?  Wait til you meet the Whovians!

But I tell you, after a few years in this fandom and I have honestly met some absolute nutters!

At least Whovians get episodes more often than we do.

• Like 1

I used to day to people: you think we Sherlockians are mad?  Wait til you meet the Whovians!

But I tell you, after a few years in this fandom and I have honestly met some absolute nutters!

Why, thank you! ;)

At least Whovians get episodes more often than we do.

I don't know, I'm beginning to think so few is a blessing. Look how worked up we get over 9 episodes ... what if it were 90?!?!?!?!

• Like 3

I think I'd be in an asylum...

Oh and I think I should try and qualify the above statement...none of the nutters I referred to are on here!

• Like 1

That's right, no mature behavior allowed! We'd be letting down the team!

• Like 1

Being genuinely amusing and having fun wasn't really what i was referring to...it was the Benophie hate etc.

• Like 1

Oh man, you're kidding. Really? That's just .... pathetic.

Still think the slickback is unflattering, tho. :p

I love the one with Moffat and the action figures, I can just see him working out Sherlock dialog with his toys .... "You're a git!" "No, you are!"

Being genuinely amusing and having fun wasn't really what i was referring to...it was the Benophie hate etc.

Benophie hate? What's that? :blink:

Oh - I think I get it. You mean people who get upset about Benedict Cumberbatch being married, am I right? Is "Benophie" a mashup of his name and his wife's? Now I'm getting sidetracked trying to come up with something like that for my husband and me... it all sounds awful...

Anyway, you are right, there are some pretty crazy people in this world, no matter what they are (or claim to be) fans of, and the internet offers us all a platform to express our insanity in ways that we can't or at least won't in real life.

This whole special thing with the Victorian setting and "in its own bubble" is definitely eating away at the little sense I had managed to retain until now. Seriously, :wtf: ? A two year wait and then this? But oh well, if they really wanted to make it, then I guess that's what counts. And it doesn't seem like they have time for another full season, anyway.

I do wish they'd have just called it a day after His Last Vow and used the special to tie up loose ends and let people know what became of who in the long run, sort of like an epilogue. But the world is not a wish-granting factory, and that's that.

• Like 1

Not only are they haters, there are some that are downright venomous and evil towards Sophie.  And some of the Twitter and Tumbler accounts are so vile that you just drop your jaw in astonishment.  

There are a couple of things they take issue with:

1. That the whole thing happened so fast because:

A.  She trapped Ben by getting pregnant (he was a 50% contributor in that, of course)

B.  Because Ben is so frightfully busy, he doesn't have his head screwed on right to make a good judgement about her

2.  It's all a publicity stunt towards getting him an Oscar (which he didn't get).  Believe me, they have charts on how his news releases about engagement, pregnancy, dating - everything - was timed with certain PR things around awards ceremonies and nomination times (as if his private life has anything to do with any of that).  Therefore, everything they do in public is fake and everything they do for the cameras is all about getting paparazzi attention...

Well, you can see how warped their hater thinking gets.

There may be several festering pools of haters, but one that seems to attract a lot of conspiracy theorists is at:

http://sophiehuntergossipblog.tumblr.com/

Venture in at your own peril and bring a barf bag.

• Like 2

*Sigh*... I'm probably in no position to disapprove, seeing how much of my time I spend fussing over the private lives of fictional people, but I still can't help thinking that real people, even if they are public figures to a degree, should be a different matter. I'm trying to imagine how I'd feel if someone devoted an entire blog to me and my marriage. Not flattered, I can say that much. Probably not even amused.

Anyway, the special. Still trying to come to terms with that. Hmmm... I'd better go and have another look at Mary in her Victorian outfit, that'll cheer me up. And Martin Freeman as period Watson with that hat and mustache looks perfect, and while I wouldn't call the Holmes outfit flattering for Mr. C. either, I do think he looks the part. I should probably prepare to just enjoy the special on a strictly visual level, as a kind of moving painting. Because from what we have seen so far, I am willing to bet it will be beautiful.

• Like 5

Impressive! Real life catches up with you in the form of work and you come back to almost three pages of discussion!

Maybe that is the best feature of this forum, lively and active speculation without personality clashes. I was thinking about the J.S. Bach partita thing that was mentioned somewhere above: although I am a strictly Mozart/Wagner/Strauss Jr. fan, surely if you listen to what he plays on his violin as Moriarty climbs the stairs is the clue to the specific partita mentioned by Jim. A little bit of research on the part of any Bach fans would solve THAT question, because it is the specific piece Jim takes exception to as being interrupted.

Still dislike the slicked-back hair in all profile photos, and the colour of those tweeds!

• Like 2