Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I believe only me and Caya are the book readers (?), but hers is longer suffering as she had read it since long time ago while I did only not long after the last book (which is long enough to say that Moffiss work at lightning speed compared to George R.R Martin).

 

My interest peaked at Season 4 and went down after that but it's still good TV. I always like the books though, it's a very detailed well constructed with plethora of interesting bits. People do complain about gazillion of characters but amazingly I haven't found mistakes or inconsistency like Conan's, maybe I didn't look at it carefully. It's crazy how he manages to keep track, he must have giant gargantua humongous board with colorful threads to map them all. Read them twice, been waiting too long it makes me abandon all hope to read the next books soon.

 

There is a specific thread here Game of Thrones

 

Feel free to go there and speculate, I know it's been so long, but some poor soul who doesn't have self control may read your post and see the spoiler of one of the best moments. Nah, nevermind, their fault if they continue reading after knowing what you were talking about.

  • Like 1
Posted

I read the first book, watched the first season with friends and since then have only read plot summaries and wiki articles and looked up specific scenes on YouTube. Like I mentioned, the dearest friends I have are big fans and so I like to know enough to be able to join a conversation about the series. And there's a certain level of morbid fascination. But in spite of the superb acting and high production value and the way above par writing for a fantasy series, I feel more repelled than anything else by GoT.

 

It's not just the violence, it's the insane level of cruelty. I find it hard to reconcile that with entertainment.

  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

That is the reason why I am reluctant to watch it, along the incest.

 

Anyway, I watch doctor who, orange is the new black, orphan black, how to get away with murder and currently watch star trek the next generation for the first time (shocking, I know)

I believe only me and Caya are the book readers (?), but hers is longer suffering as she had read it since long time ago while I did only not long after the last book (which is long enough to say that Moffiss work at lightning speed compared to George R.R Martin

You're not the only book readers here, I read books as well.
Posted

I think she meant the GOT books. I read loads too. :smile:

  • Like 1
Posted

I'm reluctant to read it as well.

Posted

The only bit I really liked from the first book was watered down for TV: Dany reappearing from the fire alive with her hatched dragons. In the book, her hair was burned off and the dragon babies were suckling at her breasts. On the show, she still has her beautiful tresses and they are just sort of lying there. With all the sex and nudity in other scenes, I wonder why they decided not to go literal with the "mother of dragons" theme.

 

She is by far the most compelling character for me, which probably means she will meet some gruesome death or terrible misfortune that I wouldn't care to see.

  • Like 1
Posted

I think she meant the GOT books. I read loads too. :smile:

Yup, that's what I meant. That bunch of foot long books when they are stacked together. Twice. 

Bought the whole set because book one was interesting (I borrowed it) and couldn't find the rest (The one who lent me only had Book One, and she practically read less than half and left it lying around on her cubicle). That very same week a friend gave me a Kindle with 2Gigabyte worth of ebook. Ouch! Shouldn't have bought them too early :P.

 

But if the next one is ever published (will it ever George? Hmmm????), I would get the paperback again. I have lost my excitement for the new books, but if it's out, I will still be happy as I like his work and there is something nice with physical book. Luckily another friend also gave me the subsequent publication World of Ice and Fire that comes with big a** map, that one is expensive! Wasn't sure I wanted to buy it because it's not written by George himself (and cost more than my first six books combined -> advantage of buying very very late into the fandom), but WOIAF is gorgeous book.

 

Now I hardly have time to read, there are always other things to do or I just passed out too quickly in my bed (I like reading in the bed).

I think I hardly do proper reading since I'm online (how come it sounds like A.I speaking), there are so much craps to read in internet, and I'm here too (not that I'm saying this is considered as crap XD), which takes significant portion of my free time (and work time!)

 

 

Anyway, I watch doctor who, orange is the new black, orphan black, how to get away with murder and currently watch star trek the next generation for the first time (shocking, I know)

Have to admit I'm stuck at Orphan Black season 3 when

the male clone

appears. My bad, I watched it as background and gradually got less and less interested and eventually stopped watching. It doesn't help that I have a lot of other things lined up. Do you find it's worth it to continue?

Orange Is The New Black, I quite like it. I like the carefree approach to how people deal with races and actually find that quite realistic in real life, many of it represents more of the open-minded people though who have the sense of humor to laugh at themselves and the seriousness of the situation, but just like that, it's also only takes one or two idiots to turn that around.

Only managed to catch the first episode of the latest season though, I don't have Netflix and probably only get to watch not earlier than next month.

Posted

Is anyone else besides me watching "Turn: Washington's Spies"?  It's in its last season now.  I feel like the only person who's even heard of it.  The first season didn't really grab me, but it was just good enough for me to give the second season a shot, and then it got pretty interesting.

The end of the latest episode has me all

MV5BMzA2M2MzNzEtYmIzYy00ZDQ2LThmNTQtM2Qz

, but there's no one to

MV5BMzA2M2MzNzEtYmIzYy00ZDQ2LThmNTQtM2Qz

to because nobody watches it, lol.

 

Posted

Nope. I remember thinking the trailer looked interesting, but that was mainly because of the music, plus the uniforms reminded me of Assassin's Creed 3. Never actually watched it. 

Posted

Agh, sorry Artemis! I started to watch it, but couldn't remember when it was on, so missed a lot, and finally just gave up. It would be really useful to have some sort of TV guide to refer to, but the paper started charging extra for it and just on principal I refuse to pay for one. And looking the TV schedule up online is just a pain in the a-double-scribble. So I miss a lot. But that's one I would've watched, I think.

Posted

I don't think I have an a-double-scribble. Am I missing a vital part of my anatomy? ;)

  • Like 2
Posted

But that's one I would've watched, I think.

Do you have Netflix? It's on there, if you do. They'll probably put the 4th/last season up when it's over.

Posted

Nah, Netflix is not one of those expenses that I've found necessary yet. If somethings's not available over basic cable, I don't get it. And to be honest, I really don't have that much time to catch up on television. This 3-episode at a time format of Sherlock's is actually really convenient for someone like me ... if they would just get around to it more often.....

 

I don't think I have an a-double-scribble. Am I missing a vital part of my anatomy? ;)

 

Oh, I'm sorry. How do you, erm ... sit?

 

That's a term one of my co-workers used back in the days when the actual word was still considered impolite, bless his heart. 

  • Like 1
Posted

I get the double, but why scribble? Do you... paint/write something with them?

OH PLEASE NO!

Posted

I assume that "scribble" is merely a description of how an "S" is shaped.

Posted

An S? Now I'm completely lost. 

 

Something gross I remember is being told that someone had a W tattooed on each bum cheek so when he bent over it said wow.  :sick:

Posted

An S?

Close! XD
Posted

It's not "a double-scribble," it's "an a-double-scribble," a three-letter word.

Posted

 

Something gross I remember is being told that someone had a W tattooed on each bum cheek so when he bent over it said wow.  :sick:

Holy macaroni!

Why would anyone do that? And to think the only people who could see that are the ones you..want to impress.

Or, he plans to go around and wow wow wow everywhere. Yikes.

 

Speaking of butt cheek.. (good god what have we become), I only see it from movie/tv/whatever, is it true, what is that obsession of photocopying butt? Why is it quite common in media.

What do you want to see?

What is the purpose?

Do they know how much germs in there?

Many photocopiers actually have digital records.

Etc etc etc..

Posted

I think people photocopy their butts because they can.

Posted

Have to admit I'm stuck at Orphan Black season 3 when

the male clone

appears. My bad, I watched it as background and gradually got less and less interested and eventually stopped watching. It doesn't help that I have a lot of other things lined up. Do you find it's worth it to continue?

oh yes, season 4 is darker than the previous seasons though. But season 4 and 5 finally show us the downside of tampering with human genetics.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Does anyone watch Yuri on Ice?

Posted

OK, looking for a recommendation.

 

We have watched all of Broadchurch and are watching the last season as it airs in the US right now.   While I don't typically like mystery shows (so I'm not in the Sherlock fandom for its stunningly suspenseful plot lines!), I do enjoy the drawn out mystery of Broadchurch, where every week you get more clues and it always seems like the entire town could have done the deed until the very last minute.

 

Anyone know of any show that's kind of like Broadchurch in flavor?

Posted

Isn't there an American version too?

 

I enjoyed The Tunnel, that is similar in that it's quite drawn out. It's the English/French version of The Bridge.

 

Luther is good too, but that's not so drawn out. 

Posted

BBCAmerica is just rerunning the UK Broadchurch.

 

(Edit: No, now that I think, you might be right that they remade it for the US audience.  I can't remember what it was called though.  Off to Google.)

 

Might check out the other two.  I know we can get Luther; will have to check on The Tunnel.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 82 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.