Holiday-Special News ("Abominable Bride")

sittything

That's it, BC.  Come at me.  I'll fight you over the mop hair.  Yes, we're mad.  

I am a bit worried that this episode won't have the levity of the more modern episodes, but I'm trying to be hopeful.

This makes me worry for S4. What if he insists on changing the haircut? Sherlock without his mop?

Should we start a petition to prevent this happening?

YES. I was going to issue a very sternly worded letter of warning, but a petition would be even better.

That's it, BC.  Come at me.  I'll fight you over the mop hair.  Yes, we're mad.

It it comes to it, I'll help hold him down while you glue the curls back on. Mopless Sherlock is unacceptable.

I am a bit worried that this episode won't have the levity of the more modern episodes, but I'm trying to be hopeful.

Me too. He looks awfully stern in all those pix and trailers ...

• Like 1

:rofl: :rofl:

Don't worry Sherlock. I like the mop hair, but mop or not, I'm on your side. As long as you are baccccckkkkkkk..!!!

• Like 1

sfmpco posted this on another thread this morning:

Okay, this website may have shown up somewhere here before, but i found it today and thought it had a lot of great information on costumes and props.

http://sherlockunravelled.com/

Yup, lots of info there!  I've been skimming through, and found this comment on the black dress that Mary wears during part of TAB:

Victorian mourning fashion was very particular, which allows us to draw several conclusions based on how Mary Morstan is dressed here. She is clearly in mourning, while the fact that her veil is raised and her dress is embellished with jet (or ‘black amber’) suggests that she is at the stage of second mourning.

But who is she mourning for?

Who, indeed?

Another thought-provoking bit from the TAB trailer page: of Sherlock Unravelled:

White lace wedding dress and veil; dual Colt M1878 revolvers

The titular bride, firing at passers-by from a balcony. Unlike Watson’s British-made firearm, the bride’s Colt revolvers were manufactured in the United States. Perhaps a clue to her identity?

Dear Carol, there are so many American ladies, women and heiresses in the original stories, one is swamped! The lady in The Study in Scarlet, the ones in The Eligible Bachelor and the Yellow Face, in the Red Circle and the Six Napoleons, in Three Gables and The Dancing Men; and that's off the top of my head, not having consulted my Chancellor Press copy. No wonder, with Lady Mary Churchill and the five Sargent beauties having taken Victorian/Edwardian society by storm! Dear old Sir ACD was going with the stream. What might we expect of the two creators, who treated the fans so cavalierly in their latest publishing venture?

It seems to me that I remember early on in interviews about the special that it was said the Moriarty being alive questions would be answered in the special.  Whether this is what Benedict is nearly alluding to or not remains to be seen:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-26/cumberbatch-radcliffe-mcavoy-depp-9-things-we-learned-from-the-ultimate-graham-norton-sofa

It seems to me that I remember early on in interviews about the special that it was said the Moriarty being alive questions would be answered in the special.  Whether this is what Benedict is nearly alluding to or not remains to be seen:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-11-26/cumberbatch-radcliffe-mcavoy-depp-9-things-we-learned-from-the-ultimate-graham-norton-sofa

It seems to me I remember the same thing..... or was it the first episode of S4 that would answer the question? Wish I could find that statement again, I'm fairly sure it was Gatiss....

You mean this comment?

... it’s a stand alone story, but not without any relation to the series ....

That's an intriguing statement -- right along with Amanda Abbington's "It's not what you think it is!"

• Like 1

You mean this comment?

That's an intriguing statement -- right along with Amanda Abbington's "It's not what you think it is!"

Yep, that's the new comment.  Plus there are scenes filmed of what appears to be John and pregnant Mary at a cemetery post-HLV.  

After this episode airs, at what point do we openly discuss it when there may be people who haven't seen it and we don't want to have spoilers for them.  At what point do we stop using the spoiler  option?

Well, we know now thanks to the official plot summary that the Special is about a woman who shoots herself in the head (judging by the photos, in a similar way to Moriarty in The Reichenbach Fall) and who then later is seen around London.

Since I am pretty certain that an actual ghost will not be the explanation here, I expect that it will either turn out the woman survived the injury (which isn't 100% impossible even in the real world; there are areas of the brain that you can survive without) or that she did not, because in Sherlock universe, this kind of injury is always fatal (and I assume it would be about 99% percent fatal in real life, so that's not too unrealistic either) and her reappearance is due to some sort of trickery.

Whichever solution the Special chooses will be applicable to Moriarty. So if the "Abominable Bride" is alive after shooting herself in the face, then so is Moriarty, and if she isn't, then he isn't either. If the shot turns out to be fake, I will also assume Moriarty's was fake in a similar way. Etc.

• Like 1

Oh, this is an interesting thought - but it would suggest that Moriarty is alive, don't you think? Or that there is another possibility, like a twin?... plastic surgery (as suggested in SH - Game of Shadows)? Or maybe not... you never know.

But I think I will be reducing the input of information. I want to be surprised. :)

I'm still wondering about Andrew Scott, who seemed to be in the team (or at least he thought so in April).

And after watching Spectre, I sincerely hope they give a logical explanation that leaves not even a millionth of a chance of Moriarty being alive! Andrew Scott simply had to walk in on a conversation between Craig and Ffienes ( and we're talking Voldemort here, it doesn't get any creepier!) and that serpentine quality was immediately apparent!

As for spoilers, since the whole of Continental Europe is still banned, I should imagine any information would be welcome to make heads and tails of the spoof.

This may have already been suggested/ dismissed due to better knowledge of the original stories but is it likely that this incarnation of Mary was related to the bride who died? (thus the mourning gear). And could that hint at real-life Mary having some relation to Moriarty? (If the bride is a way of showing how he seemed to be dead).

• Like 1

After this episode airs, at what point do we openly discuss it when there may be people who haven't seen it and we don't want to have spoilers for them.  At what point do we stop using the spoiler  option?

Once the UK/US air date arrives, Tim will create a Spoiler Zone, where any and all actual spoilers (as opposed to speculation or official publicity) are to be posted.  Things will go along that way for a few months, then there will be an announcement from Tim when the no-spoiler period is officially over.

Oh, this is an interesting thought - but it would suggest that Moriarty is alive, don't you think? Or that there is another possibility, like a twin?... plastic surgery (as suggested in SH - Game of Shadows)? Or maybe not... you never know.

Nope, you never know.  But I'm personally very fond of the idea that Jim has an evil twin.  :naughty:

I just don't buy that Moriarty's death was fake, though, because there would have been too many people in forensics to verify it.

True -- IF the standard procedures were actually followed.  At the beginning of "Empty Hearse," it seems clear that both Anderson and Lestrade believe that Moriarty is dead, but judging by the newscast (which doesn't seem to be working right now, at least for me) regarding Sherlock's "suicide," which makes no mention of Moriarty's death, it was apparently not common knowledge.  Whatever that may mean!

This may have already been suggested/ dismissed due to better knowledge of the original stories but is it likely that this incarnation of Mary was related to the bride who died? (thus the mourning gear). And could that hint at real-life Mary having some relation to Moriarty? (If the bride is a way of showing how he seemed to be dead).

That may be a bit too convoluted for even Moftiss -- but who knows?

• Like 1

You mean this comment?

Nope, much longer ago, when they first announced there would be a season 4 and/or the special. At least a year ago, probably longer. And I'm almost certain it was Gatiss, and I'm also almost certain it was a print article, not a live interview. That narrow it down for anyone?

Could THAT be the thing they think we've missed about Moriarty? That there was never mention of his death in the papers or on the news?  I.E. no headlines saying "double suicide"?????

• Like 1

Are you referring to the statement Moffat made, that there's "something everyone missed" in S3? I've been wondering about that again lately. I didn't take it to mean Moriarty specifically, but that's a good thought.

• Like 1

Are you referring to the statement Moffat made, that there's "something everyone missed" in S3? I've been wondering about that again lately. I didn't take it to mean Moriarty specifically, but that's a good thought.

Yes, that statement exactly.  Then again, it could have all been swept under the rug.

I almost hope the Special doesn't give us the answer, I think I'd rather the answer be part of S4, for continuity reasons. On the other hand, I don't care where they put it as long as it makes sense......

There could still be some continuity in the Special, presumably in the current day scene(s) with John & Mary.

• Like 1