Jump to content

What Did You Think Of "The Reichenbach Fall?"  

125 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

    • 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
      0
    • 6/10 Average.
      0
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
      0
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
      0
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
      0
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted

I see.... so, in light of the atmosphere of the story, Sherlock want John to know that the suicide is fake. But why, what motivate & drive him to that act?

 

What drives Sherlock to wanting John to know the suicide is fake?  Fan fiction aside, my own feeling from watching the episode is that Sherlock just wants John temporarily out of the way so that he's not an unstable element during the confrontation, but that he really doesn't anticipate John being in the dark for two years.  I've always thought that the line in TEH - "What life? I've been away for two years." - isn't as cruel as it seems on the surface.  I've always thought that Sherlock thought John clued in at some point, and that he would have been sitting in Baker Street secure in the knowledge that one day Sherlock would come back and fill in the blanks of what went on.

 

Anyway, that's the perspective I went with.  I'm never going to argue that there aren't other valid interpretations.

  • Like 2
Posted

I spotted a mistake Sherlock made, that could have been (and maybe still can be) fatal. He said “I want you to tell Lestrade; I want you to tell Mrs. Hudson, and Molly." MOLLY!? If his phone was monitored, or if there were any microphones on Jim, or Jim weren't dead - Sherlock just exposed his most importand ally.

 

On the other hand, Sherlock's point of view may be that it would seem suspicious if he did not mention Molly.  (After all, Moriarty knows that Sherlock is well acquainted with her.)  And Sherlock immediately follows Molly's name with "...in fact, tell anyone who will listen...," which halfway demotes her into the "anyone" category.

 

... the real world reason for me exploring that is that I've always been annoyed/perplexed at Sherlock throwing the phone away before he jumps, because I would assume he would take any evidence with him if he were trying to fake his death.  To make that "better" in my own mind, I made the phone into a clue that only those who knew him would suspect.

I haven't read your story yet, but I've been assuming Sherlock dropped the phone on the roof so that a] it would not be damaged in the fall, and b] Molly could retrieve it. Of course, that scenario assumes that c] Sherlock had recorded Moriarty's confession on that phone, and d] Moriarty is out of the way -- so maybe dropping the phone was part of the Lazarus scenario, but not certain others.

  • Like 2
Posted

And also throwing the phone away was a nice symbolic touch ... Sherlock shedding the final connection with John before he jumps.

  • Like 2
Posted
On the other hand, Sherlock's point of view may be that it would seem suspicious if he did not mention Molly.  (After all, Moriarty knows that Sherlock is well acquainted with her.)  And Sherlock immediately follows Molly's name with "...in fact, tell anyone who will listen...," which halfway demotes her into the "anyone" category.

Yes and no. Just a moment earlier he was listing his friends in the same manner: Lestrade, Mrs Hudson (John is on the phone) and now he adds Molly.

 

I mean Sherlock was able to find out about Jim's stop-code just from the construction of a sentence ( at least it took me a while to understand what caused Sherlocks epiphany), on this level of cleverness freudian slips can be fatal.

Posted

 

On the other hand, Sherlock's point of view may be that it would seem suspicious if he did not mention Molly.  (After all, Moriarty knows that Sherlock is well acquainted with her.)  And Sherlock immediately follows Molly's name with "...in fact, tell anyone who will listen...," which halfway demotes her into the "anyone" category.

Yes and no. Just a moment earlier he was listing his friends in the same manner: Lestrade, Mrs Hudson (John is on the phone) and now he adds Molly.

 

I mean Sherlock was able to find out about Jim's stop-code just from the construction of a sentence ( at least it took me a while to understand what caused Sherlocks epiphany), on this lever of cleverness freudian slips can be fatal.

 

 

That's why I keep playing with the idea that this is a clue for John:  potentially, those four could put together their information and suspect pretty strongly that Sherlock isn't dead.  At least, that's what I'm doing with the sentence, since the show puts it in Sherlock's mouth, and I always assume that Sherlock says everything he says on purpose.

Posted

... I always assume that Sherlock says everything he says on purpose.

Boy, I wish I could do that -- and just in case the wish fairy is listening, I'll add "unambiguously." 

  • Like 2
Posted

I wish Moftiss would make the same wish. Well, not everything. But more than now! :smile:

  • Like 1
Posted

Just because.... the piece Sherlock is playing when Moriarty walks up the stairs in 221B is the Bach Sonata (not Partita) Solo for Violin #1 in G Minor, BMV 1001: I. Adagio

 

I just downloaded through ITunes the following album:

 

Bach: The Six Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin

James Ehnes (2005)

 

It is excellent.  And you will think of Sherlock all the while.

  • Like 1
Posted

Even more video extra stuff from the BBC for Sherlock.  These little videos should have been included on the DVDs.

 

  • Like 1
Posted

Here's a short interview on the set...

 

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

Good to know it's only 45 minutes (plus the insanity of parking) away from me.  Today is definitely a great day for pranks.

Posted

Even more video extra stuff from the BBC for Sherlock.  These little videos should have been included on the DVDs.

 

Is that more of it? And yes, this bit should have been on the DVDs.

Like one of the viewers at YouTube I wonder why there was nothing about Moriarty's death.

Posted

I don't believe that there has been any official mention even yet of Moriarty's death.  Apparently certain people are aware of it (Anderson mentions "Moriarty's body," Greg doesn't seem surprised, and John tells Mary that Moriarty "blew his own brains out"), but as far as we've seen in the program, the general public has not been told (unless I'm forgetting something).

 

  • Like 1
Posted

I don't believe that there has been any official mention even yet of Moriarty's death.  Apparently certain people are aware of it (Anderson mentions "Moriarty's body," Greg doesn't seem surprised, and John tells Mary that Moriarty "blew his own brains out"), but as far as we've seen in the program, the general public has not been told (unless I'm forgetting something).

 

This belongs in the "does Moffit think we missed it" thread... lol

  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Just rewatched TRF again, it still gets me everytime.

 

I probably have unique experience watching it. Fisrt of all, not a reader, i read some of the book long time ago as a kid. Remember Sumatran rat only, but nothing made deep impression. I watched the first movie version, it was quite entertaining, but again, no deep impression and i even skipped watching the second one, just because.

So i was almost completely unfamiliar with Sherlock.

 

Heard recommendation about BBC sherlock, thought to give it a try, although i was taking my sweet time acquiring it, just a month ago ~no rush~ apparently it‘s a no turning back decision and it broke my telly life

 

I like SIP, still complaining about TBB, very entertained with TGG but completely hooked after SIB.

 

Just after HOB, before TRF, i happen to have a chat with a fellow friend, when he accidentlly disclosed that at one point in the book, Sherlock died and the stories were written as memoir. Damn! I hardly forgive spoiler ever, but it was very briefly mentioned and i stopped him from saying anything that might happen beyond HOB.

 

So that night watching TRF, i was getting more and more uneasy the closer it got to the roof scene. And it broke my heart, still is, everytime i saw Sherlock lying there motionless with hair drenched in blood. No cryer, but the scene makes me feel the way no other show ever does. Although i have doubt that he indeed dies (well main protag but then again i am game of thrones reader/watcher and i can see the possibility that the rest of the series can be presented as flashback).

 

That scene is so powerful and will always haunts me so somehow i am thankful for the mislead spoiler.

 

Watching Sherlock broke my telly life because i haven't really appreciated anything else in telly again the way it was. I rushed though new episode of GoT so that i can rewatch Sherlock. And i have no intention watching anything else bcs even multiple rewatch is better than other crap telly. I am cursed.

 

But how glad i am to find this place after frantically searching for other victims and realise i am not alone. Greetings.

Forgive my English as it‘s not my first languange, i am from half a globe away and i sleep while most of you are awake and vice versa. Have many thoughts to contribute, don't have the luxury of free time but hopefully i can get active.

  • Like 5
Posted

Hello Van Buren Supernova and welcome to the forum! :wave:

 

"A no turning back decision" - that's sooo well put. So don't worry about your English, you're doing just fine :smile:.

 

And a special welcome to a fellow GoT reader! No wonder you were worried about Sherlock, that book series leaves its marks :lol:.

Posted

Oooh, welcome to the club. 

 

Yep-p, before Sherlock I thought it cannot get better than GoT. I wonder if I ever can get back.

Here is a welcome picture for you. big-grin.gif

 

fguoa4iz.png

 

Nice story about the spoiler, BTW. No wonder it scarred you for life. ;)

  • Like 1
Posted

:wave2: Hi Van Buren Supernova :welcome: to the forum.  I think you will fit in here just fine.

 

I understand the feelings in TRF from the roof to the end.  It still gets me too and I do not remember how many times I have watched that episode since August 2, 2014.  I listened to a preview of the soundtracks on Amazon a few months ago.  I made the mistake of reading ahead on S2 soundtrack and saw the track titled Blood on Pavement and lost it knowing where it was in TRF.  Not a fun day.  I had to remind myself that it was a fictional television show about a fictional character.

  • Like 1
Posted

I can' tell by your post if you have seen SHERLOCK series 3 yet, but I hope you can get to it soon if you haven't.

 

And welcome to the forum!  We are all hooked on the show here!

 

Just rewatched TRF again, it still gets me everytime.

I probably have unique experience watching it. Fisrt of all, not a reader, i read some of the book long time ago as a kid. Remember Sumatran rat only, but nothing made deep impression. I watched the first movie version, it was quite entertaining, but again, no deep impression and i even skipped watching the second one, just because.
So i was almost completely unfamiliar with Sherlock.

Heard recommendation about BBC sherlock, thought to give it a try, although i was taking my sweet time acquiring it, just a month ago ~no rush~ apparently it‘s a no turning back decision and it broke my telly life

I like SIP, still complaining about TBB, very entertained with TGG but completely hooked after SIB.

Just after HOB, before TRF, i happen to have a chat with a fellow friend, when he accidentlly disclosed that at one point in the book, Sherlock died and the stories were written as memoir. Damn! I hardly forgive spoiler ever, but it was very briefly mentioned and i stopped him from saying anything that might happen beyond HOB.

So that night watching TRF, i was getting more and more uneasy the closer it got to the roof scene. And it broke my heart, still is, everytime i saw Sherlock lying there motionless with hair drenched in blood. No cryer, but the scene makes me feel the way no other show ever does. Although i have doubt that he indeed dies (well main protag but then again i am game of thrones reader/watcher and i can see the possibility that the rest of the series can be presented as flashback).
 

 

Posted

Hi there, VBS, welcome to the insanity! :D I think you'll find most of us have the same curse, :smile: so you'll fit right in!

  • Like 1
Posted

 

Watching Sherlock broke my telly life because i haven't really appreciated anything else in telly again the way it was. I rushed though new episode of GoT so that i can rewatch Sherlock. And i have no intention watching anything else bcs even multiple rewatch is better than other crap telly. I am cursed.

 

But how glad i am to find this place after frantically searching for other victims and realise i am not alone. Greetings.

Forgive my English as it‘s not my first languange, i am from half a globe away and i sleep while most of you are awake and vice versa. Have many thoughts to contribute, don't have the luxury of free time but hopefully i can get active.

 

Hi, Van Buren!  

 

"Broke my telly life" is exactly what happened to me!  I couldn't watch anything but Sherlock for what felt like the longest time.  I'm back to watching other shows, but I still watch an embarrassing amount of Sherlock, just over and over.  And then I keep wanting to hop on the forum here and say, "Did you guys see this part?  Did we ever talk about that?  I never noticed [whatever] before!"

 

Glad to have you guys to talk to!

  • Like 2
Posted

Thank for the warm welcomes!

 

Caya and J.P. great to meet fellow fans of another series. I thought got is difficult to replace and prepares me for anything ..before i found Sherlock.

Will find a way to get that poster printed out, thanks!

 

Sherlokedcamper, indeed. I thought multiple viewing might help, but it doesn't. In fact, after many viewing i only catch that his eyes are open. Too distracted with those curly hair drenched in blood..

 

Sfmpco, yes i had watched all episodes, multiple times, reading articles, transcriptsi, ebuying books, listening to podcast ( any good recomendation welcome. Have difficulty finding good ones. I can never have enough podcast), lurk in the forum before finally signing up (social network and community forum is not my forte anymore, but again, as said before, this show broke my life!).

 

Arcadia, insanity indeed, but the one i am happy to embrace. And it seems like there is one big asylum in here :)

 

Boton, that‘s exactly what brings me here. Glad to know it‘s normal after all.

 

Cheers!

  • Like 4
Posted

I want to write all my favorite sherlock moment, there is a thread dedicated to it, but i think i might broke the system with the quantity.

So i will post on the respective episode thread, hope to do all soon. Beware, it‘s a loootttt.

 

The Reichenbach Fall favorite moments:

 

- John‘s therapist seasion

Martin Freeman is an excellent actor. Facial impression, inability to speak, choke up word in grieving, body languange, top class acting.

 

- Ditto to excellent Benedict Cumberbatch.

Sherlock reacting to presents. How i envy the opportunity to do the same! Yeah yeah, presents should be appreciated whatever they are. But.....

 

- John: 'Sarcasm'

Sherlock: 'Yessssss'

 

- sherlock's annoyed reaction and forced smile while wearing the hat.

 

- his inability to understand the hat.

This recurring joke is a gem imho. I believe in other version it‘s his real trademark (?). And how nice that he loathes it here. 'It's an ear hat!‘

But BC can pull off any looks, i mean any looks, like with another silly hat in TEH.

 

- confirmed bachelor John Watson.

 

- Moriaty in the museum. Again, best collective casts. What a lucky series! Andrew Scott is 'the' moriarty.

Love the touch of silly grin going through detector.

Music and dancing.

No rush..

Honey you should see me in crown.

 

- john sporting fresh after shower look

 

- banker spilling coffee

 

- lestrade panic reactions in the car. Did i mention excellent casts?

 

- crime of the century montage

 

- john coaching sherlock how to behave in court

sherlock: i just be myself.

John (frustrated): are you listening to me??

 

- sherlock in the court.

Crushing all the juries (john‘s side facepalm), insuting the prosecutor

The last gasp, couldn't resist of speaking more and being locked out in the cell for being sherlock-ed. Lol!

 

- sherlock on moriarty: how long do we meet?

We met twice. I pull a gun and he tried to blow me up'

 

- i feel we have special something ~ cue to moriarty looks happy and raising eyebrow

 

- moriarty looks back and grins at John

 

- montage of sherlock and moriarty show down in the cell

 

- sherlock: what? That‘s my face!

The face that we both know what happens.

John: No. That is why i find the face so annoying!

 

- Sherlock preparing tea. Such a elaborate tea set for a bachelor. I guess it‘s British culture?.

 

- Moriarty sitting in Sherlock's chair despite being directed otherwise, and Sherlock‘s reaction.

 

- First mention of pressure points

 

- how do you find it‘s difficult to say i don‘t know?

Sherlock: i don't know

 

- Honey you should see me in crownnnnn

 

Moriarty's gem:

- ordinary people are adorable, i should get myself a living one.

Tempted to use this one as my real life profile quote, but i already have few good friend as it is. Oh well, i think i will. It‘s Sherlockian selection. Move over, Darwin.

- don‘t be scared. Falling is like flying, with more permanent destination.

 

- Sherlock carricature with (very prominent cheekbone!) In the paper.

 

- from atm: thank you for your patience. John

Wonder how dealing with Holmes brother haven‘t drove John crazy yet

 

- man freaking out in Diogenes club when Jon tries to make conversation

I think the club is an excellent idea, would patronize one if it's real.

 

- Mycroft: anything you care to share with me?

John: I am moving?

 

- Mycroft threatening face

 

- camera angle on John opening the bread crumb envelope.

 

** at his rate i might as well write a transcript.

Apologies, but still i decide to be selfish and go on writing to lure anyone to rewatch.

Brb

  • Like 1
Posted

Hello, Van Buren Supernova -- welcome to Sherlock Forum!  :welcome:
 

- ordinary people are adorable, i should get myself a living one.


I have trouble understanding the dialog sometimes myself (especially since they're speaking British and I speak American), but I'm virtually certain that Moriarty says "I should get myself a live-in one" -- meaning someone to live with him, as John lives with Sherlock.

 

OK, Ariane DeVere's transcript has it that way too.  (She's not connected with the show, she's a fan, but she spends hours playing and replaying each episode, trying to make sure she's got the dialog correct, and she usually succeeds.)  Here's that line from her website:  "Aren’t ordinary people adorable? Well, you know: you’ve got John. I should get myself a live-in one."

 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 23 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.