Jump to content

What Did You Think Of "The Reichenbach Fall?"  

125 members have voted

  1. 1. Add Your Vote Here:

    • 10/10 Excellent
    • 9/10 Not Quite The Best, But Not Far Off.
    • 8/10 Certainly Worth Watching Again.
    • 7/10 Slightly Above The Norm.
      0
    • 6/10 Average.
      0
    • 5/10 Slightly Sub-Par.
      0
    • 4/10 Decidedly Below Average.
      0
    • 3/10 Pretty Poor.
      0
    • 2/10 Bad.
    • 1/10 Terrible.
      0


Recommended Posts

Posted

I want to write all my favorite sherlock moment, there is a thread dedicated to it, but i think i might broke the system with the quantity.

So i will post on the respective episode thread, hope to do all soon. Beware, it‘s a loootttt.

 

The Reichenbach Fall favorite moments:

 

- John‘s therapist seasion

Martin Freeman is an excellent actor. Facial impression, inability to speak, choke up word in grieving, body languange, top class acting.

 

- Ditto to excellent Benedict Cumberbatch.

Sherlock reacting to presents. How i envy the opportunity to do the same! Yeah yeah, presents should be appreciated whatever they are. But.....

 

- John: 'Sarcasm'

Sherlock: 'Yessssss'

 

- sherlock's annoyed reaction and forced smile while wearing the hat.

 

- his inability to understand the hat.

This recurring joke is a gem imho. I believe in other version it‘s his real trademark (?). And how nice that he loathes it here. 'It's an ear hat!‘

But BC can pull off any looks, i mean any looks, like with another silly hat in TEH.

 

- confirmed bachelor John Watson.

 

- Moriaty in the museum. Again, best collective casts. What a lucky series! Andrew Scott is 'the' moriarty.

Love the touch of silly grin going through detector.

Music and dancing.

No rush..

Honey you should see me in crown.

 

- john sporting fresh after shower look

 

- banker spilling coffee

 

- lestrade panic reactions in the car. Did i mention excellent casts?

 

- crime of the century montage

 

- john coaching sherlock how to behave in court

sherlock: i just be myself.

John (frustrated): are you listening to me??

 

- sherlock in the court.

Crushing all the juries (john‘s side facepalm), insuting the prosecutor

The last gasp, couldn't resist of speaking more and being locked out in the cell for being sherlock-ed. Lol!

 

- sherlock on moriarty: how long do we meet?

We met twice. I pull a gun and he tried to blow me up'

 

- i feel we have special something ~ cue to moriarty looks happy and raising eyebrow

 

- moriarty looks back and grins at John

 

- montage of sherlock and moriarty show down in the cell

 

- sherlock: what? That‘s my face!

The face that we both know what happens.

John: No. That is why i find the face so annoying!

 

- Sherlock preparing tea. Such a elaborate tea set for a bachelor. I guess it‘s British culture?.

 

- Moriarty sitting in Sherlock's chair despite being directed otherwise, and Sherlock‘s reaction.

 

- First mention of pressure points

 

- how do you find it‘s difficult to say i don‘t know?

Sherlock: i don't know

 

- Honey you should see me in crownnnnn

 

Moriarty's gem:

- ordinary people are adorable, i should get myself a living one.

Tempted to use this one as my real life profile quote, but i already have few good friend as it is. Oh well, i think i will. It‘s Sherlockian selection. Move over, Darwin.

- don‘t be scared. Falling is like flying, with more permanent destination.

 

- Sherlock carricature with (very prominent cheekbone!) In the paper.

 

- from atm: thank you for your patience. John

Wonder how dealing with Holmes brother haven‘t drove John crazy yet

 

- man freaking out in Diogenes club when Jon tries to make conversation

I think the club is an excellent idea, would patronize one if it's real.

 

- Mycroft: anything you care to share with me?

John: I am moving?

 

- Mycroft threatening face

 

- camera angle on John opening the bread crumb envelope.

 

** at his rate i might as well write a transcript.

Apologies, but still i decide to be selfish and go on writing to lure anyone to rewatch.

Brb

 

Super Nova, you quote and mention things through The Reichenbach Falls... but you have seen series 3, right?  I only ask because I don't want to mention anything about S3 if you haven't seen it.  Of course, you know there is a mini-episode between series 2 and series 3 called MANY HAPPY RETURNS.  Here is the link to it:

 

 

There are a lot of extra BBC things - including John's blog, Sherlock's website, and Molly's blog.  They are all part of the show.  

  • Like 1
Posted
I have trouble understanding the dialog sometimes myself (especially since they're speaking British and I speak American), but I'm virtually certain that Moriarty says "I should get myself a live-in one" -- meaning someone to live with him, as John lives with Sherlock.

 

 

Thanks Carol.

I myself not even a native English speaker. It wouldn't surprise me if Moriarty means 'the living one', but 'live-in' one makes more sense!

 

 

Super Nova, you quote and mention things through The Reichenbach Falls... but you have seen series 3, right?  I only ask because I don't want to mention anything about S3 if you haven't seen it.  Of course, you know there is a mini-episode between series 2 and series 3 called MANY HAPPY RETURNS.  

 

 

Sfmpco, don't worry. I had seen all you mentioned, including reading the blogs.

I suppose you think I might not be as devastated with TRF if I already seen Series 3.

 

Although from what I read some think that TEH or series 3 can be interpret as undermining TRF, Sherlock's emotion, his reasoning of suicide or his awareness of John's feeling, for me, it doesn't reduce what happens in TRF and those powerful moments.

 

I believe those emotions in the rooftop are as real as it happens. He genuinely felt devastated of what he was going through.

It's arguably possible upon his come back in TEH, he has moved on and not dwelling on his emotion like what he trains himself to do now and then.

 

Imho, Sherlock is actually person with very fragile emotion, he easily gets hurt, that is why he builds mechanism of refusing to give in to any emotion but in fact it's a shaky mask. Like many of us who had been hurt before, it's a defense, defense that doesn't work really well because underneath it's a person genuine emotion that can't be changed.

 

For example, he was hurt everytime John insults/not impressed by his blog.

He was hurt when Sebastian in TBB mentioned that he was not well liked in university. 

He was hurt multiple times with Irene Adler supposed rejection, in the plane when she asked him to move away and when she denied her sentiment to him.

He was definitely hurt when he has to do what he did in the rooftop. Even though big percentage of it might be the feeling for himself and less for how he hurts John***, his emotion was genuine. Notice how happy he was when John assured him that he believe in him. First on the flat when John really convinced him 'Nobody can fake being such an annoying dick all the time' and in the rooftop when he said 'You can', replying what Sherlock said 'Nobody can be that clever'.

 

He was hurt when he said 'Alone protects me'. Imho, it's a bitter sweet declaration of frustration at that moment. He knows, Mycroft knows that love and sentiment is dangerous. And it is. Look at all superheroes, look at ordinary people, loved ones are always disadvantage pressure points and almost always non-negotiable way to bring you down. He wouldn't be in that position if not for the friends he cares about, the friends that he reluctantly have overtime but he himself cherish them so much despite his rejection of having those sentiments.

 

Imho, Sherlock is very aware of his own emotion. ***However, he doesn't aware of how much impact that he can have on others.

While he understand how much others mean to him, more overtime (although he still doesn't care about strangers, no more than he think he should), he has very low understanding of how much he means to others.

 

He frantically throw away John's explosive jacket in TGG, he freaked out saving John from bonfire. He half killed a man for Mrs Hudson. He sacrificed all he has in TLV. He hacked everyone with sword in Karachi. He kissed Molly on his own will, no hidden purpose, twice (that says a lot!)

 

While on the other hand he was surprised that John grieved for him as much as he did, how strong Molly's feeling for him, when Lestrate hugged him, he didn't even understand why he made everyone cry in the wedding.

 

Because he is Sherlock.

 

So, despite whatever happen/explained/contradicted in series 3, I always view TRF the way I view it the first time.

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Posted

Same here. I still feel the emotion of TRF as genuine even after watching it so many times.

Posted

Although from what I read some think that TEH or series 3 can be interpret as undermining TRF, Sherlock's emotion, his reasoning of suicide or his awareness of John's feeling, for me, it doesn't reduce what happens in TRF and those powerful moments.

Agreed. Even though I think they would actually have been better off explaining less in "The Empty Hearse" (in order to preserve the magic), that doesn't ruin "Reichenbach" for me. How could it, with all those wonderful moments and those three tour de force performances?

 

For example, he was hurt everytime John insults/not impressed by his blog.

No, Sherlock isn't nearly as tough as he pretends to be.  John doesn't always realize that, but I absolutely love the little moment in "Great Game" when it turns out that Greg and Sally have seen John's blog about Sherlock not knowing that the Earth goes around the Sun, and John suddenly realizes that the internet is a very public place and he's responsible for hurting Sherlock's feelings.

 

  • Like 4
Posted

 

 

 

For example, he was hurt everytime John insults/not impressed by his blog.

No, Sherlock isn't nearly as tough as he pretends to be.  John doesn't always realize that, but I absolutely love the little moment in "Great Game" when it turns out that Greg and Sally have seen John's blog about Sherlock not knowing that the Earth goes around the Sun, and John suddenly realizes that the internet is a very public place and he's responsible for hurting Sherlock's feelings.

 

 

Oh, I love that too, and I think that moment is so well-written and genuine.  Every writer has had that moment when your writing is quoted back to you, and you suddenly feel a little bit caught in the headlights, like someone found you doing something highly personal you didn't realize they could see.   :unsure:   

 

And I DO so love every time Sherlock says he wrote a blog post on something, and he's just not getting the attention he thinks he deserves for it.  Like his 243 kinds of tobacco ash, and Mrs. Hudson replying "I'm sure there's a crying need for that."

  • Like 1
Posted

Haha..

 

John is definately a clot too when it's about understanding Sherlock's feeling. He is almost obilivous about how much Irene Adler affects Sherlock.

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

And I DO so love every time Sherlock says he wrote a blog post on something, and he's just not getting the attention he thinks he deserves for it.  Like his 243 kinds of tobacco ash, and Mrs. Hudson replying "I'm sure there's a crying need for that."

 

Mrs. Hudson is a very special quirky lady. The actress is adorable. Nice to read that she is indeed family friend and she had known Benedict Cumberbatch since he was a child.

 

 

 

No, Sherlock isn't nearly as tough as he pretends to be.  John doesn't always realize that, but I absolutely love the little moment in "Great Game" when it turns out that Greg and Sally have seen John's blog about Sherlock not knowing that the Earth goes around the Sun, and John suddenly realizes that the internet is a very public place and he's responsible for hurting Sherlock's feelings.

 

I think John having a blog is actually very dangerous to their line of work. It discloses way too many things that can be easily picked up by their enemy. It's great Sherlock caught up Van Buren Supernova  :D !!

 

P.S I am testing manual quote with names. Sorry in advance if it messes up. Hopefully it works.

Edited by Carol the Dabbler
You'll get the hang of it! Meanwhile, I've deleted most of BBCodes, to make your post easier to read.
  • Like 1
Posted

 

P.S I am testing manual quote with names. Sorry in advance if it messes up. Hopefully it works.

 

 

Hello and welcome to the forum!

 

I edited your post so that the quotes are in quote boxes. I don't know why, but the way it was before, it said "quote" and then the quoted text was underneath the quote box.

 

 

Posted

T.o.b.y,  thank you so much!

 

I tried to do multiple quote that include the name of the posters, but seems like I misunderstand the method horrendously.

Let me do more reading about that. Cheers!

Posted

T.o.b.y,  thank you so much!

 

I tried to do multiple quote that include the name of the posters, but seems like I misunderstand the method horrendously.

Let me do more reading about that. Cheers!

 

Let me direct you here:

http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/1812-what-is-multiquote-and-how-do-i-use-it/

 

It's really not that complicated, but it takes a while to figure out. Once you've gotten the hang of it, I think it's very simple and convenient.

Posted

 

He frantically throw away John's explosive jacket in TGG, he freaked out saving John from bonfire. He half killed a man for Mrs Hudson. He sacrificed all he has in TLV. He hacked everyone with sword in Karachi. He kissed Molly on his own will, no hidden purpose, twice (that says a lot!)

 

 

4502962.gif

  • Like 1
Posted

Haha..

 

John is definately a clot too when it's about understanding Sherlock's feeling. He is almost obilivous about how much Irene Adler affects Sherlock.

 

I think John THINKS he knows Sherlock, but at the end of Scandal, Mycroft disagrees with John's assessments.  Mycroft knows Sherlock's vulnerabilites all too well.  "Caring is not an advantage."  Except that Mycroft actually cares in his own way  as he says in HLV, "Your loss would break my heart."

  • Like 2
Posted

I really hope at some point we get further background on Mycroft and Sherlock, life pre-show, childhoods.... I don't need a whole ep or anything, but I'd love some more insight on what makes them tick.  Why are they whatever they are.

  • Like 2
Posted

Let me direct you here:

http://www.sherlockforum.com/forum/topic/1812-what-is-multiquote-and-how-do-i-use-it/

 

It's really not that complicated, but it takes a while to figure out. Once you've gotten the hang of it, I think it's very simple and convenient.

nks for the link.

I have read and tried it, somehow it doesnt work well with my posts.

Maybe my internet connection is unstable, although it seems like the forum is unstable for now. I have posted this three times but the keep getying errors eventhough other websites are fine. Sorry in advance if there are multiple posts.

 

Don't worry, i'll get the hang of it overtime. For now i just need to do it manually.

 

Cheers.

  • Like 1
Posted

I think John THINKS he knows Sherlock, but at the end of Scandal, Mycroft disagrees with John's assessments. Mycroft knows Sherlock's vulnerabilites all too well. "Caring is not an advantage." Except that Mycroft actually cares in his own way as he says in HLV, "Your loss would break my heart.

I think Molly understand Sherlock best. Mycroft comes close second, however he also misscalculated how much Irene Adler affects him in Scandal, with him saying to Sherlock," I'm sorry. I don't know." After berating Sherlock for allowing him being manipulated by Irene.

 

 

I really hope at some point we get further background on Mycroft and Sherlock, life pre-show, childhoods.... I don't need a whole ep or anything, but I'd love some more insight on what makes them tick. Why are they whatever they are.

That would be excellent! I hope the writers hear you.

May i know which scene does your avatar come from?

Posted

I wouldn't mind a flashback scene here and there that gave us a glimpse into the lives of the Holmes Boys pre-ASIP.

  • Like 2
Posted

 

I think John THINKS he knows Sherlock, but at the end of Scandal, Mycroft disagrees with John's assessments. Mycroft knows Sherlock's vulnerabilites all too well. "Caring is not an advantage." Except that Mycroft actually cares in his own way as he says in HLV, "Your loss would break my heart.

I think Molly understand Sherlock best. Mycroft comes close second, however he also misscalculated how much Irene Adler affects him in Scandal, with him saying to Sherlock," I'm sorry. I don't know." After berating Sherlock for allowing him being manipulated by Irene.

 

 

Molly does seem to have some insight into him that the others don't, doesn't she? At the same time, I wonder if she "knows" very much about him; or if she just has built up an image of him in her mind. Sometimes I think John is like that; he's so enamored of the "eccentric genius" persona that he misses other things. And it's not like Sherlock is very open about himself, or even very honest when he does give answers; it can't be easy to get to know him. Mycroft's the only one who was around before Sherlock learned to wall himself away; but I think he's failed to accept that Sherlock is growing into being his own man. Mary seems to see into Sherlock, but I think she also underestimates him.

You know what this sounds like? "Real" relationships! :blink: :D

  • Like 3
Posted

 

Molly does seem to have some insight into him that the others don't, doesn't she? At the same time, I wonder if she "knows" very much about him; or if she just has built up an image of him in her mind. Sometimes I think John is like that; he's so enamored of the "eccentric genius" persona that he misses other things. And it's not like Sherlock is very open about himself, or even very honest when he does give answers; it can't be easy to get to know him. Mycroft's the only one who was around before Sherlock learned to wall himself away; but I think he's failed to accept that Sherlock is growing into being his own man. Mary seems to see into Sherlock, but I think she also underestimates him.

You know what this sounds like? "Real" relationships! :blink: :D

 

Yeah, when it comes to people and how they think, feel, behave and interact with each other, the series is pretty realistic.

 

 

  • Like 2
Posted

 

May i know which scene does your avatar come from?

 

 

It's from the stag night in TSOT, scene at the bar where Sherlock is yelling "I know ash!"

 

tumblr_mz3gmmEKSK1riatpto3_r2_250.gif

 

I figured it kind of went with "sittything."  It was either that or a pic of the egg chair.   ;)

  • Like 1
Posted

 

 

May i know which scene does your avatar come from?

 

It's from the stag night in TSOT, scene at the bar where Sherlock is yelling "I know ash!"

 

tumblr_mz3gmmEKSK1riatpto3_r2_250.gif

 

I figured it kind of went with "sittything." It was either that or a pic of the egg chair. ;)

Oh my, good times! Lmao

Posted

 

May i know which scene does your avatar come from?

 

It's from the stag night in TSOT, scene at the bar where Sherlock is yelling "I know ash!"

 

tumblr_mz3gmmEKSK1riatpto3_r2_250.gif

 

I figured it kind of went with "sittything." It was either that or a pic of the egg chair. ;)

Prefer this look to the egg chair. Definitely a good choice from the stag night.

Posted

Envious of John for being a pet, or Sherlock, for having a pet?

 

I'm fairly sure John has disabused Sherlock of any notion that he's any kind of pet by now ... :D

Posted

I read it as jealous of Sherlock for having a "pet."

Posted

Jealous of Sherlock having a "pet".

 

Just now a dim light bulb going in my head. Not sure if anyone had thought of this, I believe I haven't read it in this thread but my mind is a mess trying to read everything.

 

A scenario when Reichenbach Fall not happening.

 

When Sherlock was swinging Moriarty around in the rooftop (love Andrew Scott's face here), Moriarty said there is an added incentive,"Your friends will die if you don't."

S: "John."

M: "Not just John."

S:  "Mrs. Hudson."

M: "Everyone."

S: "Graham."

M: Whaaa what????

S: "Gary?"

M: "Call it off! Wrong day to die!"

S: "Catch.. you later."

M: "No you won't....! Who the hell is Graham and Gary?"

 

 

..

 

I really need to rush to work.

 

 

  • Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of UseWe have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.Privacy PolicyGuidelines.